I hereby propose the classic salad from Café Boutique. It was THE favorite... but as these days our Café section of the shop is closed, I thought I'd offer you this recipe, you will find several of the ingredients on our online shop. They are also available at our NDG Grocery.
(Psssst the name had been given long before the new popularity of rainbows (Aren't we just so ahead of the trend 🤓) Come on, lets have fun!)
INGREDIENTS for salad
- 1 and a half cups white basmatti rice
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 can of canned corn in grains
- 1 can of red beans rinsed and drained (black or red of your choice)
- 2 stalks of celery, thinly sliced
- 4 thinly sliced green shallots
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (OPTION)
- 1/2 cup fresh, chiseled coriander
Optional (depending on the season, we like to add other ingredients like the seeds of a pomegranate. We also tried with fresh dates, a real delight. Have fun!
INGREDIENTS for dressing
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
-The juice of half a grapefruit
- 1/2 tsp crushed chili
- Cook the rice. When cooked, remove from the pan and place in a large bowl so that the rice cools.
- In another bowl, combine dressing ingredients.
- In another bowl, mix the ingredients for the salad